Tuesday, April 30, 2013

More Iatrogenic Angioedema: Statins This Time - Thanks to Ray Mullins

While talking about iatrogenic angioedema, I thought now would be a good time to remind everyone of a discussion we had on the lists forum in 2001 – Thanks to Ray Mullins
for reminding me of this discussion:
From Frank Thien: "Dear All -  Has anyone seen angioedema associated the the hypolipidemic HMGCoA reductase  statin drugs?  It is mentioned in the product information. Recently, I saw a patient with  angioedema who was on pravastatin. I did a check with our Drug Information,  and they found that 8 cases of angioedema associated with pravastatin have been reported to ADRAC since 1999. I gather this is a class effect with all of the statins.  I did a Medline search and come up with nothing.  Anyone have a better idea regarding mechanisms and clinical pattern?  Regards  Frank"
From Glenn Reeves: "Dear Frank - I've seen at least 3 cases of angioedema / urticaria associated with "statins". I wondered whether they were due to anaphylatoxin-mediated vasoactivity after immune-complex-formation with the immunogenic drug, but some more fundamental explanaton may exist. I'm certainly seeing it as a clear association now. Anyone else agree? Regards Glenn"